1. Overview and Causes
Hepatocirrhosis is also named cirrhosis. Cirrhosis is a chronic disease due to degeneration, necrosis and regeneration of the liver cells, proliferation of the fibrous tissue, and distortion and cirrhosis of the liver. Its main clinical manifestations are a series of symptoms and signs resulting from hypofunction of the liver and portal hypertension.
(1) Compensatory Phase: fatigue, loss of appetite, nausea, abdominal fullness and other symptoms of digestive tract. Slight edema and bleeding tendency may be present due to reduced liver function. The findings of physical examination are mild hepatomegaly with slight hardness, splenomegal, spider nevi and liver palms.
(2) Decompensatory Phase:
1) Portal hypertension syndrome: Splenomegaly with hypersplenism, esophageal and gastric fundal venous varices which may result in hemorrhage of the upper digestive tract.
2) Impaired liver function syndrome: Fatigue and symptoms of the digestive tract are aggravated, low fever, jaundice, edema and ascites are often present. Patients may have eminent bleeding tendency , darkish complexion and endocrine disorder.
3. TCM Effectiveness and Evaluation
Hepatocirrhosis is successfully treated by TCM’s treatment approach, it is more effective than other kind of treatments. A treatment cycle should be longer than six months.
4. Common Syndromes and Treatments in TCM
This ailment, according to TCM, has different syndromes. The treatment for these syndromes using herbal medicine and acupuncture is shown below.
Stagnation of the Liver-Qi and Deficiency of the Spleen
Anorexia, abdominal distress and distension, vague hypochondriac pain, lassitude and fatigue, or nausea and loose stool, whitish coating of the tongue, and taut pulse.
Obstruction of the Liver-blood
Hepatomegaly and splemomegaly, twinge of distress in the hupochondrium, distension of the abdomen, anorexia, dim complexion, or accompanied with spider nevi and liver palms, deep-red tongue or with ecchymoses, taut and thready pulse.
Retention of Water within the Body
Tympanites which is firm and full when pressed, epigastric distress, anorexia, scanty urine, red tongue, taut and thready pulse.
All three above kinds of syndromes of hepatocirrhosis will be treated by our total treatment plan.